Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Meetings, meetings, meetings... If You have to Have Them You Might as Well Make Them Worthwhile


Recently I have been afforded the opportunity to lead a couple initiatives at the college where I work (that's a politically correct way of saying things were dumped in my lap that I didn't know I would be in charge of, ha). Actually, I don't as it provides new opportunities to collaborate with others. But in so doing it involves the dreaded meeting! 

It seems I tend to live from meeting to meeting, and usually I don't mind at all, except when meetings have no value. Then I realized that maybe some of my meetings, especially the meetings connected to the newer initiatives I'm involved with may be just those kind of meetings. 

My Executive Assistant is a fan of Zig Ziglar and receives his emails. She passed on the following survey results concerning meetings. So simple, yet so much to remember about our meetings.

What's the worst thing about meetings?" Over 1,600 people responded.

The most common responses were...
  • No clear purpose or objective.
  • Not organized. No agenda.
  • Too long.
  • Boring. Nothing new or interesting.
  • Not inspiring or motivating.
  • Doesn't start on time, stay on track, or finish on time.
  • Lack of interaction.
  • Allowing attendees to ramble and repeat the same comments and thoughts.
  • Allowing attendees to ramble and repeat the same comments and thoughts (that's supposed to make you laugh). This, by the way, was the number 1 annoyance.
  • Weak presenter (unprepared, not succinct, monotone, overly redundant).
  • Repeating information for late arrivals.
  • No specific action items or walk-away points.
Meetings are an opportunity. They're an important part of how we connect (communicate), how we learn, how we encourage, and how we inspire. 

Zig Ziglar's email was a good reminder of the opportunities created by meetings. If you've got to have them we might as well make them worthwhile and productive. We're all too busy to meet just to say we met. 


Lead Strong...


Shawn

No comments: