Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Watch your mouth...

Remember when you were a kid and you said something inappropriate? Your mother would respond immediately, "watch your mouth young man (or young woman)." Yes, I heard that my fair share of times growing up. It seems my mouth was putting me, and sometimes my parents, in bad situations.

It seems God has told us to watch our mouths as well. Psalm 141:3 says, "Set a guard over my mouth, Lord; keep watch over the door of my lips." Hmm, it seems our mouths have always been a problem when left unchecked. James mentions this and belays the dangers of an uncontrolled tongue.

The Bible tells us that with one breath we can praise God and with another tear others down. The two simply cannot co-exist and come from the same mouth, somethings got to go.

It amazes me how many people receive little or no positive affirmation in their lives. Lord, set a guard over my mouth and keep watch over the door to my lips. Let my mouth be an instrument of positive affirmation of others and praise to You.

This is a basic leadership tenet that we tend to leave out of our daily routine if we're not careful. Heed to the words of your mother (and God), "watch your mouth young man (or woman)!" See what a difference you can make in your family, church, business, organizations by simply watching your mouth.

Lead Strong,

Shawn

No comments: