Monday, August 1, 2011

How Ironic...

Several weeks ago a colleague asked me to speak to her team of co-workers whose grant had not been renewed. She knew that I had deactivated (closed) 3 programs in the last year and a half and thought I could address the process and all that is happening within their lives (hers included as her job was done away with as well), and maybe bring a new perspective. I was honored that she asked, maybe a little hesitant in that as an administrator I can easily be seen as the enemy and the one responsible for people losing their jobs, even though in this case I had nothing to do with any of it. So, this afternoon I will address these great people who have given their time and energy to make their program successful. Now they have lost their jobs, no fault of their own, victims of a recessed economy and reduced educational funding. However, ironically, today I'll bring a new perspective that I hadn't had until last Friday at 12:30 PM. You see, it was then that Rochelle received notice that her grant, which had been approved for another year on July 1, had now been rescinded by the TEA and she too is unemployed as of August 31.

Rochelle quipped this morning that maybe she should attend this healing session of sorts today.

It's a funny world we live in isn't it?

Lead Strong, appreciate what you have and don't take it for granted.

Shawn

No comments: