Monday, February 21, 2011

Oh my...

I can't believe it. In November I said I was going to do better about blogging and here it is February and I may actually be doing worse. Ugh! I'm actually jealous of my wife Rochelle who is so good about blogging (Random Thoughts) on a daily basis and sharing the growth and development of Jack. I think to myself, "I really need to get on that blog, but..." And, unfortunately that is where it stays, at the "but..." level.

I guess my real issue is whether or not I really have anything of value to say or if blogging is nothing more than a diary of sorts. Nothing wrong with a diary, I just don't want it to be that public. On the other hand, if someone were to think I actually had something of value to say then they may need a broader spectrum of relationships, ha.

Actually, the past several months have been an incredible learning opportunity for me. The State of Texas, reflective of the US Government, is in terrible financial shape. As such education is likely to take substantial financial hits over the next biennium, if not the next two bienniums. Last year, my first as an instructional dean, was tough. This next budget cycle is going to be even tougher. Hard decisions need to be made concerning programs and the people connected with those programs. While I embrace this as part of my responsibilities, it is not something I enter into lightly. I hope that I am bathing the process in prayer. In fact, for over a year now I have been clinging to what has become my life verse from Proverbs 24:3 - 4: "By wisdom a house is built, and through understanding it is established; through knowledge it is filled with pure and precious things." That has to apply to the totality of my life, personal and professional.

As a leader I need wisdom beyond my own. It amazes me that Solomon could have had anything he wanted from the Lord and he asked for wisdom. He understood that wisdom was the path to filling your home (life as a whole) with pure and precious things, when applied with godly knowledge. Wisdom, when bathed in understanding of people and circumstances, and then applied with newly formed godly knowledge aids a leader in making decisions. I did not say it made the decisions any easier. In fact, it can make the decisions tougher at times because the Holy Spirit gives insight that might not have been available prior.

My daily prayer continues to be for God to instill within me wisdom that is His and not mine. But I also pray that He gives me understanding into peoples lives and the circumstances those people find themselves in, understanding of personal motivations and desires, and an understanding of how my decisions will impact others, both directly and indirectly. Then I pray for knowledge. Knowledge in applying this wisdom based on new levels of understanding.

All that to say that leadership is not for the faint of heart. While I still adhere to the concept that all of us are leaders I have come to understand that I need understanding of myself and others concerning what level of leadership we should be at within an institution. When people come to me and say they are interested in this or that position of leadership, I always caution them to pray for God to give them some insight and understanding of the position they seek. Proverbs 24:3 - 4 is a wonderful prayer for all levels of leadership. I challenge you to apply these verses on a daily basis and see what God may reveal in your quest to develop yourself as a leader.

Just musing today, Lead Strong!

Shawn

No comments: